Turner and Watercolour: a Summer Painting Course with Tim Wright
3 Aug 2021 - 31 Aug 2021
10am-1pm each lesson
Every Tuesday in August – 10am-1pm – Tickets £250 for all 5 lessons, BOOK HERE
Join us and learn JMW Turner’s watercolour technique with artist Tim Wright! We will look at Turner’s watercolour technique, his responses to landscape and also, more specifically, his Petworth House interiors.
The course is formed of 5 lessons, every Tuesday in August (3rd, 10th, 17th, 24th and 31st), from 10am to 1pm. Tickets £250 – these include material, refreshments and access to the House and Turner’s English Coasts exhibition. BOOK HERE.
The course will cover the following elements:
– We will do a series of exercises to familiarise the student with materials and handling.
– Experiment with the effects of the medium, particularly how to express qualities of light and colour.
– Discover what brushes and grounds to use.
– Learn how to mix colour and tone and how to apply it with a brush or other tool.
– Setting out your palette: the colours you need.
– How to use paper and exploit its properties.
– Look at composition and how to structure a painting: how to edit, what to leave in, what to omit, what detail is essential and what isn’t.
– What tools and materials you should have in your studio.
– We will make short studies of the house, its interior and setting in the surrounding landscape. This will lead to some longer, more substantial, pieces.
By unpicking and analysing Turner’s method and exploring the nature of the medium, the student should acquire a stock of technique and the confidence to paint their own watercolours.
Presented by Turner's House Trust
Full list for Museum/Heritage